76' 9.9 evinrude has no power.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twaldron

Reaction score
I took my 76' 9.9 evenrude out today. It ran great for a few hours. Mostly slow trolling.
The winds picked up and started making some wave and splashing, then all the sudden the motor died.
I let it sit for 15 minutes, then got it stared but it had no power.
If I open the throttle all the way the motor stayed running but very slow, just enough to get me back to the marina.
if i let off the throttle it would just die.
Any ideas what to look for?
Thanks!

Carb may need rebuilt. Fuel pump ? Did you try pumping the bulb? Open the vent on the gas can? Could be any of these. Bad fuel line. Wires got wet from the splashing. Check plugs for spark. How about the points if that year has them? Coil? Did you try starting it when you got home?

Did the choke lever on the carb come out of the slot on the plastic push/pull piece? That happened on mine a few weeks ago and it acted the same way. Definitely sounds like either a fuel or timing issue. Has the timing plate moved?

This link has LOTS of great info on these motors. Just about don't even need a service manual to do any work on them.
https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html#OMRA

Latest posts