1961 15 Horse evinrude won't go into gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryRoad

Reaction score
I've got a 1961 15 horse evinrude. Until now it's never given me any trouble. Yesterday I took it out, and started experiencing some issues. When it was in gear and I was throttled all the way up the motor suddenly jerked violently (exactly like it would if I had hit dead tree) as I continued on, it happened 3 more times. Realizing there was a serious issue I headed back to the dock.

When I got it home I ran it, and discovered this "clanging" noise. If the motor is in nuetral I can hear the noise every once in awhile, but when I put it in gear going forward it will not go into gear and the noise increases and gets louder, but when I throw it in reverse it works fine. I really need some help!!!! If it helps I'll post a video this afternoon. Thanks everyone!!!

The issue you experienced while running was the clutch dog slipping away from forward gear and then re-engaging. Pretty violent feel to it and definitely can damage internal components. From the metallic sound you are hearing I would suggest you remove the drain screw from your gearcase and see what is in the oil. If it were me I would remove the gearcase and seperate the halves and take a look at the damage. You will probably need a gearset and clutchdog.