Tilt and trim

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasprite

Reaction score
I have a 50hp tohatsu model # m50d2, without the key on the motor rose (Trim and tilt) to the up position, I cannot get it to go back down. I hit the down switch and the solenoid clicks. I have checked and there is power to the switch and the solenoids (2 solenoids one -up and one- down). I think I need to check voltage to all?? Does anyone know how to check a solenoid? Or am I looking at this all wrong. Thanks for your replys!

Sounds to me like the "up" switch is shorted. If I understand you correctly your trim system engaged by itself without you pushing the up button? Wet switches will do that and remote (bow mount) switches have a history of doing that as well. There should be a red, blue, and green wire coming from your switch. Disconnect these wires and ohm them out. The red is power, blue is up and green is down. Think blue sky and green water as far as your wiring goes. Check and see if there is a connection between red and blue through the switch. There should not be unless the switch is pushed.

Pappy, thanks for your help, I know what end of the hammer handle to hold on to as well as a wrench, but when it comes to trouble shooting electrical system I have troubles. I managed to jump the top solenoid and can move the motor up, when i jump the down it won't go. I'm a smallmouth guide on the Susquehanna River, we've had the worst spring and early summer season due to weather. Now the river is clearing up and I'm sidelined with this trouble. So I ordered a switch and two solenoids, hopefully this will cure the problem and then everything is new. I hope the trim motor is good, again thanks

I can't swap them as the light blue wire on the top one and the pink on the bottom one are not on a post. They part of the solenoid and can't be removed or undone like the rest of the wires. I would have to cut those wires to do that and there isn't enough wire to do that. Thanks for your help. Hopefully changing it all out works. I'll have a piece of mind knowing that at least the trim is all new.

Latest posts