Length of throttle throw

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I just installed cables on my 1975 9.9 Evinrude. I converted it to remote operation from tiller control. I want to keep the tiller to steer,but control the throttle and shifting from the remote box. The throw of the throttle seems pretty short, is this normal? I've removed the friction disc and would like to disconnect the twist throttle all together. Can this be done? I'm using a 70's vintage Simplex box. Thanks Todd

If memory serves me correctly the throw is around 1 1/8" from neutral in both directions or 2 1/4" total. If you have this and want to check to make sure you are going all the way into forward gear shift lightly into gear while rotating the prop back and forth (engine not runnning of course) when in gear all the way increase your pull on the shifter and you will feel a definite increase in drag when the clutch dog bottoms out in the forward gear. Practice this while just using the gearshift on the engine until you get a feel for it. This adjustment will insure you will not risk a mis adjustment resulting in the clutch dog jumping out of forward gear. Your control cable adjustment should bottom the clutch dog fully when done properly.

Latest posts