Throttle Problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I noticed this weekend that when running my motor at WOT I really have to crank, and hold, the throttle hard. When I take the pressure off, the throttle immediately backs off. Is there any way I can adjust this?

You said anybody, so...

There is a possibility that the friction block in your tiller arm maybe a bit worn. If it is the original and it probably is, it has served its time. Its not a biggie, just when you let go the throttle it slows down.

It is item #94 in the diagram.

37751400010im.jpg

Another thought that comes to mind, make sure your spark plug wires are not binding up on something and creating tension when you are advancing your throttle.

The spark plug wires can bind between the lever (item #20 in the diagram below) and the motor itself.

37751400006im.jpg

Thanks for that CC. However, I don't think it is a frcition issue. The point is that I really have to twist the handle hard to get the motor to WOT and keep it there. It makes me think that the throttle cable is too long or has too much play in it, but I don't know.

Let me take a look at my EV 18hp after the weekend, think its a '58.....haven't looked at it in a while. I know on my Johnson '57 35hp there is an "economizer" circuit that is helped out by a little extra effort from a linkage spring and cam shape on the mag plate. Makes you really have to WANT to go WOT rather than cruise! I will be running that boat in my signature all weekend in the Suwanee river this weekend for an antique outboard event. Will also scout around for one like yours and take a look at the linkage set up for you.

I think you have been having this motor for a little while now, correct? So, this something new?

** Check out some of the simple stuff, like make sure your spark plug wires are not binding up on something and creating tension when you are advancing your throttle.

** Check out parts number 20,21,22, and 61 in the power head diagram. Make sure one of those screws is not backing out or missing causing some play between the armature linkage and the lever.

Not sure these issues are your problem, but just throwing some simple stuff out there to check. Trying to review what mechanisms that can cause tension on your throttle and advancement of your armature linkage.

Oh well, hopefully Pappy can come up with something. My 18hp Evinrude is 1970.