Carb rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathprod

Reaction score
I just wanted some input on whether a carb rebuild is a diy kind of job. I have the manual but have never worked on an outboard before. It is a 1998 90hp Johnson SPL. I'd like to consider myself a fast learner but I would hate to start breaking the engine apart to find out I am not quite fast enough!

If your mechanically inclined then I would say yes. I was rebuilding and cleaning motorcycle carbs when I was 6. I was slow, but I would do them right. (my father had everything needed and helped along the way) If you can take something apart and put it back together, then you should be able to do this. Best advice if you do not have a manual that walks you through the rebuild of the carb, is to take some pics along the way or even a video. Then you can refer back to it.

AND we are always here to help.

Just try to remember how it came apart so you know how it goes back together. It is much easier to put back together if you took it apart. It is more difficult if someone else took it apart and hand you a bag of parts to put back together. I agree with the previous post of taking pictures as you tear it down so you will know how it goes back together.

Thanks for the advice. Should I need anything other than a carb rebuild kit? And are there any other things I should replace or check while doing the carbs. Thanks again, it is reassuring to know I have a place to get some answers when and if questions arise.

It helps to have a manual. Some carburetors have very tiny holes throughout them that very hard to see if you do not know where they are. They need to be free and clear of obstructions. If you use an air hose to blow them out be careful you do not blow out plugs and seats. Too much air can mess up the carb. Try not to scratch the parts up trying to clean them. If they get scratched or damaged, replace them.

I've done it on cars and lawn equipment and it's not really that big of a deal. I'm sure you can handle it if you are even remotely mechanically inclined. But, best of luck won't hurt either.

Latest posts