Boat Speed????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclaimsman

Reaction score
I have a 1984 v-16 Bass Tracker with a 35 hp Mercury, CMC PT 35 Tilt/Trim and 13 pitch SS prop. The boat was originally set up as a tiller, but former owner added a remote pulley steering system. The boat is rated for 1000 lbs, motor, gear, people. The boat itself probably weighs 500-600 lbs and setup with my weight, motor and gear, will add another 600 lbs. I just got the boat out of the shop yesterday and took it to the lake and boy was I dissapointed, 16 mph was all that it would do. I called the mechanic and was told that everything was adjusted to factory specs and not to expect more than that. I then called a local prop shop and to inquire about the prop and was told that a 13 was standard fare for this motor. Am I missing something ( like gears in the lower unit slipping), or is this normal? Any suggestions and or comments would be appreciated.

My 16' V-Bottom runs at 26mph with a 35hp Evinrude and a 10X13 prop. I have no Idea what it weighs in at but that speed is with me, my daughter, and my fishing gear. You can see the boat in my build thread that is linked in my signature line.

We need more info to help :roll:

Like what is your rpm's,is boat getting on plane,where is your cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of your boat to name just a few.

Pics are worth a thousand words #-o

Cav plate is 2" above the bottom of the transom and the rpm at WOT is at 2500. With that said I just installed the Tach and am not sure it is calibrated correctly.

aclaimsman said:
Cav plate is 2" above the bottom of the transom and the rpm at WOT is at 2500. With that said I just installed the Tach and am not sure it is calibrated correctly.

I would think you'd get low 20's as a minimum. Mechanic must know something not posted??? or related to seller?

Tach is probably on wrong pole setting. If not, then wouldn't expect the boat is planned, but would think so given you are at 16mph???

If it was on plane, did you try trimming out for top speed?

I am not sure what the mechanic knows, I know that my transom saver came up missing while there, so thats one strike in my book. The boat planes out and pole setting according to Teleflex info is set at 6P for my motor. I double checked it and thats were she be. did trim out and max is 16.2 mph

aclaimsman said:
I am not sure what the mechanic knows, I know that my transom saver came up missing while there, so thats one strike in my book. The boat planes out and pole setting according to Teleflex info is set at 6P for my motor. I double checked it and thats were she be. did trim out and max is 16.2 mph

Is it giving you a reasonable number at idle?

that is def on the low side! with my 10HP and 13FT i hit 23ish, my 48hp on 17ft completely loaded down would hit 35 range. it wouldn't hurt to adjust/tinker carb settings, needles, air intake to look for improvement. is it burnin a lot of fuel? oil runnin out the lil hole in the side? sounds like something i have fixed with adustin air/fuel ratio.