50 HP Johnson Shift connector

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhockins

Reaction score
I have a 1989 50 HP Johnson and I removed the lower unit to replace the impeller.

One part of the disassembly required I unscrew a screw near the skeg that holds a double forked connector that screws onto to the shift rod. Now I am trying to re-assemble it and I cant get the shift lever connector lined up with the hole.

Any tips on how to make it easier?

When I do that I have 2 bolts that are longer than original to hold lower in place so I can get at the connector.I usually move shift handle to get to line up.

Hate to tell you this but that was definitely not part of the requirements of gearcase removal on that model. The shift rod comes loose on that engine from just underneath and behind the carburetors. When you get the gearcase off you may be able to fiddle with the cradle and get it aligned with a pick by shifting the unit by hand using the vertical shift rod. Remember to use a new seal on that screw.

Pappy,

I read about a connecting screw on the upper unit in the repair manual but the picture was awful and I never could find it. So I ended up taking out the lower screw.

Do you have any pictures or a link to one (or a video) that shows how to get at the correct screw? It drives me nuts that I couldn't find it.

Latest posts