2011 30hp etec vs 40hp 1986 mariner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to re power my 16.5' tin can with a new motor, Weight is a concern of mine, as is maintenance as when the fish are in I fish NON stop.

Looking at a 30hp etec as the weight is the same as my current motor (162lbs) how much performance would I lose from losing 10HP (and don't just say 10hp) The salesman said power for power 10% more HP than in 1986.

Also looking at the yamaha and honda's however I hear the 4 strokes and tin cans don't always get along

Thoughts?/

Id run from the mariner if you can get something different.

As much as I hate to brag on any jap rig, you can't beat a honda. I don't see why a four stroke would be inferior on a jonboat

The Etec is light which is a big plus on a light hull. It is pretty much maintenance free for 3 years although I would hate to run the same gearcase oil for that long and they run very well, produce great power and are fantastic on fuel. If you have a dealer in your area for these engines that is a big plus as well.

I heave dealers for pretty much everything in my area,

the 40hp mariner i have is built by yamaha and is rock solid, just want something with power tilt,trim and no better range,

Fishing the long island sound in the semi-v hull....
the 40hp etec weights #240~!!

Loggerhead Mike said:
Id run from the mariner if you can get something different.

As much as I hate to brag on any jap rig, you can't beat a honda. I don't see why a four stroke would be inferior on a jonboat

Because the same hp 4 stroke weighs more than the two stroke plus they get into the powerband quicker and are less maintenance. For small jons a 2 stroke is better hands down...

From the reading on some other sites I frequent,those 25-30hp etecs are the front runners in that hp range.
I`d like to buy the etec but the price of them up here is crazy.Found a 09 25hp,new and they still wanted alittle over $4000.

Zum said:
From the reading on some other sites I frequent,those 25-30hp etecs are the front runners in that hp range.
I`d like to buy the etec but the price of them up here is crazy.Found a 09 25hp,new and they still wanted alittle over $4000.

What do you mean by front runners

This water this boat will be in is a less wavy ocean, where I might cruise for 2 miles so power isn't a bad thing

and the 40 hp 4 strokes are less than the 40 etec!

What he means is that the Etec has a great reputation in that market segment. Running a four stroke to me is like taking off in 3rd gear in my Jeep. They are boring sounding and running engines and they are porkers weight wise as well. Just my opinion!

Pappy said:
What he means is that the Etec has a great reputation in that market segment. Running a four stroke to me is like taking off in 3rd gear in my Jeep. They are boring sounding and running engines and they are porkers weight wise as well. Just my opinion!
=D>

This is turning into an argument about which brand is better. The question was how much power will you lose if you downsize from a 40to a 30 . I think that top speed you wont notice much of a difference but the e tec 30 might be a little slower taking off. It is hard to comare a new motor to one that is 24 years old.

I don't know what the maintenance record is on the mariner but lets say it's been run hard and put up wet all it's life and the carbs are out of adjustment. In that situation I would be willing to bet that a brand new fuel injected computer controlled Etec will run circles around it. If the mariner is in excellent service and running at top notch I would say it's equal at best. If you can get a good deal on the Etec I say go for it, in my opinion reliability is better than speed...

I was only talking about the 25-30hp etecs(top end plus quicker).
The 40hp(etec) are a reliable outboard(heavy) but kinda dogs in comparision to the EFI 4 stroke Mercury's 40hp's.
These are Mercury guys talking about the etecs in 25-30hp range...in the 40hp motors,they talk about their mercs though.
For me,moneys a big thing.
If I can get a EFI 40hp merc for the same price as a 30hp etec,I no where my money would go.
If you do alittle google seaching some of those 40hp mercs can be upgraded to 60hp.
I don't know if I would want to mess with a new outboard though and it still would cost around $1500 or so.

Latest posts