This is unbelievable!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appfire

Reaction score
Hi all, been looking for almost a month here in NC for an old outboard, 3-8hp, running or not without costing an arm and a leg for it. There is not one to be found. Anywhere. I've used craigslist, local boards etc... and still not luck. People that does have them will not sale them without the boat. Where did you find yours? Or anyone have a small cheap one they can ship me and let me keep my arm and legs..... Take care

Chris

If I were looking for a small older outboard, I would check the classified ads on the Antique Outboards Forum. You can post a free want-ad as well. Better yet, check if they have a local chapter in your area. They have meets and sell/swap stuff all the time. Good luck.

https://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize

Check the Craigslisting from the northern great lake states. Sometimes there are really good deals to be had. Freshwater motors in those areas are dime a dozen. Find a seller that is will to ship at reasonable price. Those little 3hp Johnson/Evinrude motors are easy to fix and maintain.

I was lucky, about a year ago, a bought a 1958 3hp Johnson outboard. In good cosmetic condition.

$99 motor
$40 shipping
$16 carb kit
$15 new coil the other was good. Just cleaned the points and the condensers were good.
$10 impeller
$6 new set of spark plugs
$4 lower unit oil
-------------
total $191.00

She runs and idles awesome. But, just like any purchase on ebay or craigslist, it is a possible gamble.

Here is an article about those little 3hp motor. They are awesome and light and have there own gas tank.

https://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/Evinrude%20Johnson%203%20HP%201952-1967%20Tune-Up%20Procedure.htm

Good luck in your search.

keep your eye open. I was looking also, and ended up getting a 1973 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp. last week for $200. great little motor!
I've seen several 1970's 6hp Evinrude or Johnsons. Good engines!
Can be had for around $250-350 usually. 8)

Unbelievable is now believable. Found an older Eska 7hp on craigslist, I was quick on the draw, and the guy was asking $50. Said he did not know if it would run or not. Also he gave me a 3hp gamefisher, I do think its locked up, but some good parts on it. I brought the eska home, put some gas in it and tinkered with it. Had it running in about an hour. Could not believe it. Still needs to be tinkered with but it does run and not to bad at all. Will take some photos because I do not know anything about it and maybe you guys can help me out.

Chris

good job on the find! there are a lot of manuals and tips through out here and the net that will let ya know in a very simple way how to get it running like a top on nitro. Take your time and do it right, I grabbed a lil 10HP 1957 johnson for $50 bucks of CL and she runs like new. Do it right and you'll get your $ back every year!

appfire said:
Whats the best way to post photos on here?

Chris

Awesome find. Persistence pays off again! Here's a tutorial on how to post pics to TinBoats.

Some of us (namely ME) can't see photos anymore if they are tied to photobucket or other online photo sites because big brother has them all blocked from work...so I prefer when folks don't use those sites....but that's just me. I'm finished whining now.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3664

Hey, awesome find on the motor(s). Posting pics isn't too difficult, what I do is:
1: take the picture
2: hook camera (or phone) to computer. If you use a camera, upload the pics to your downloads folder, if you use a phone, just
email them to yourself, then save them into your downloads folder. (or desktop folder, whichever is easier to remember)
3: When you are on Tinboats making a post, right under where you type your post is the section for uploading. Click "choose file". It will take you to your "computer" where all your folders are. Find the folder where you saved the pics to and double click on the pic you want. After tinboats "uploads" it, click "add the file". Give it a second and it will pop up on a little pulldown menu looking bar that says "add inline" or "place inline" cant remember which. Click that and you're good. Hope these instructions are easy to follow, in my head it sounds a lot less complicated than it is written down, but if I can do it, anyone can :lol:

Emailed the photos from my newer laptop to my old, really old, desktop and they upload fine. Go figure.... Anyways here is some more photos before I painted it.....

Am I right in thinking this is an old eska??

!cid_F7777FB82C93423F8588EC092240AD6D@ChrisRobinPC.jpg!cid_4BD0F9A64ABC4E849573DEB33405FA5E@ChrisRobinPC.jpg!cid_7A9CE9F31048458FBA8FC81A2A43B549@ChrisRobinPC.jpg!cid_24C673B10E284F08BD97DB415CE2BEF7@ChrisRobinPC.jpg

I added the plastic gas tank, and new lines with shutoff and filter, the old gas tank was really rusted inside. I also dropped the carb and took it apart and cleaned it with cleaner. Looks like someone had put a kit in it not to long ago. Believe it or not, after doing all that, it runs really good. Now to take it to the lake for a trial run.

Chris

Great news, finally took the boat to the lake this morning, it did great. The little 7hp motor ran wonderful, except when it ran out of gas, then cranked right back up with one pull. Could not ask for a better one for the money.

Chris

Latest posts