Tiller extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I have changed my 1975 9.9 Evindude to remote throttle and shift. I'd like to make a tiller that's about 2 feet long. I don't need it to twist for the throttle,just to steer with. I'm thinking about removing the tiller and making one out of aluminum tubing. I'm thinking about using 7/8 thick walled tube so I can use a bicycle grip to finish it off. Any thoughts? Thanks Todd

That should work just fine. They sell tiller extentions at our walmart here in the south but you could deffinatly make your own and save some money.

How does the remote throttle and shifting work? I have a 1974 9.9 Johnson.

I like the room a tiller gives you and the looks of a boat with a remote box and tiller. I used the remote shift/throttle box with 7'cables and mounted it near the rear bench. I'll try and get some pictures.

my favorite version - may not be exactly what you have in mind...

P1010273bat.jpg

Check out what this fellow makes. Seems like they are reasonably priced.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/2476425523.html

Also go online and check out Strongarmproducts. They are a little more specialized and more expensive but they make really nice equipment and the microskiff guys like the product.

I'd go for the baseball bat one, or just a piece of PVC pipe with a slit or two cut in it longways then clamped on with hoseclamps.

I have one of these. Works pretty good.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/DAV-1440/99990035/Davis+Instruments/Davis+Handi-Mate+Outboard+Tiller+Handle+Extension.html

FishinsMyLife said:
I'd go for the baseball bat one, or just a piece of PVC pipe with a slit or two cut in it longways then clamped on with hoseclamps.

I've made one from pvc pipe before. Works good, just had to get use to the wider swing with less turning radius. I used mine to turn the throttle, as well. Added a kill switch in the end, too. I had a rod attached to the shifter, for that.

I made on from aluminum,but decided just to make an entire replacement tiller,as I only need it to steer with. I bought a 4'piece of aluminum tube, 7/8 diameter. Now I have to do some cutting and bending. I've never posted any pictures, but will give it a try. Tanks for all the replies. Todd

Latest posts