Evinrude 9.5 starting problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregsfan

Reaction score
I have a 1971 9.5. I can only get it to start with a shot of starting fluid in the carb. It runs great once it starts. I don't want to make a habit of using starting fluid on a 2-stroke motor. I was going to take the carb off, clean it, set the float level and see if it makes a difference. Or just order a rebuild kit. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I can only get it to start with a shot of starting fluid in the carb. It runs great once it starts. I don't want to make a habit of using starting fluid on a 2-stroke motor.

Worst thing for a 2 stroke [-X (use a squirt bottle of pre mix) #-o

Your problem sounds fuel related.

Have you taken a compressiom reading?

At that point, sounds like the carb needs to come off. And if your going that far, you might pull the flywheel and check/replace the points. A week ignition will cause a hard start too. If the coils are more that 20 years old check them for cracks and replace if you find any. Leaky crank seals will cause low vacuum in the crank case. Old, worn, or wrong spark plugs can cause hard starts. Sorry I'm just throwing out some ideas.

A couple test procedures to try before tearing into it. Pump primer bulb until firm, put choke on. pull start 10 to 20 times, if no start, pull spark plugs, if they are dry then look into the fuel and vacuum system, if wet with fuel, then it's the ignition system.