painting motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone got any threads or help on painting my outboard. I hate the look of my hood on my evinrude. Its not in bad shape its just not as nice as the new ones they have on them now. Anyway im just wanting to repaint my outboard. I painted my last motors lower unit with black paint and primer and it came out good but I could never get the hood to look good. Any help would be amazing! Pictures are always welcome as well

My other question is if you had to paint an envinrude what color would you paint it? White, blue, black? Kinda leaning to the white since its different. My boat is a grizzly with camo

Thanks guys!

im not sure how "nice" you want it to look but i recently painted my 1969 johnson with black engine block paint which can withstand a lot of heat. i cleaned mine with mineral spirits, and gave it three light coats. it was shiny and looked good but i was going for the matte finished look so after the paint cured i lightly sanded it with a red scotch pad and i am happy with it. i planned on having decals made for it but then i blew it up!! LOL LOL i'm sure others have better ideas for a "real" paint job but this is cheap!

---BEFORE---
P1020329.jpg

---AFTER---
P1020422.jpg

Wet sand with 1000grit after each light coat. You'll need to wipe down with acetone after standing also. It's a lot harder to get a good finish with spray cans than good paint in a gun but with lots of patients its very doable.

If you clear it lightly wetsand again with 1200 and buff it with a light finish polish. If you use a buffer instead of elbow grease keep the rpms low and keep it moving with a foam pad

as long as you keep the coats thin, give plenty of time to cure and don't get in a hurry sanding It will come out looking awesome

Stick a box fan or as many fans as you can get facing away from the motor to help keep the trash off of it

Since you asked if I had your rig id go with a light gloss or flat color. It will hide a lot of imperfections and will be easyer to finish

EXPRESS- that dull black fits your rig nice!

Hopefully some others can give ya some more tips

if it were me id get factory matched paint(someone posted a link for it, use search to find) and use an airless. clean with mineral spirits and sand with 800 or 1000 grit between coats...

my engine was a offwhite with faded black n red grafix. i sand it good. scraped the old stickers off, repainted with dupli-color chevy snow white, and then cleared it. after that i got these stickers the guy printed off 9.9 stickers for me. i trimmed the wings off the seahorse and put them under the johnson. made my own seahorse etec hybrid

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-JOHNSON-BOAT-MOTOR-DECAL-STICKER-DECALS-OUTBOARD-FLAG-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a6337c45cQQitemZ250772702300QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I like those decals! I was thinking of something like that but I really like the new decals on the high output models this year!

Also I like the new factory white for a color over the older white

My good friend painted this one for me, You can get the decals off ebay, just do a search, you'll find em. its not hard to paint the motors just dont go to cheap with the paint, If your near Savannah GA. let me know, I can hook you up with a guy that will make your old motor like new

Attachments

• motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 454

Latest posts