1974 6 hp Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time no see. Been busy working on the boat, at work, school, etc etc...

Anyway, my motor was on my boat for the maiden voyage, but it didn't start and run like it did in the tank. I brought it back to the dock and checked the spark plugs, checked the gas line and carb, and everything seemed fine.

Alright, then I put it back on my boat and it ran for a few seconds. But it got very, VERY hot. The water wasn't pumping properly. It died so I ran back to the dock with the trolling motor.

Then I pulled off the lower end, and low and behold the water tube gasket was blocking the water from getting to the powerhead. Long story short, I replaced the water pump impeller, and the disintegrated gasket. I cleaned all the water pathways, and manually pumped water through. Now everything is back together, and it seems to be pumping water just fine.

Now my question is, should the cylinders be too hot to touch after running the motor? It still seems a little like the motor is overheating... I'm not sure. It idles fine, and runs fine, but it seems to be putting out hot water and losing some top end RPMs.

Latest posts