1976 evinrude 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatdad5

Reaction score
I have a 76 evinrude 25 hp that has not been started on three or four years
I know i am looking at a carb rebuild and a water impeller
Replaced the fuel lines and tried to start it..
No fire.. Am I rite that it has points??
I would really like to get her Goin .. It has. Elec start all
That works good .. Have to get a puller to pull the flywheel .

I have a '79 Johnson 25 and it hasn't been run in a few years also ......
the problem I had was a leaking head gasket.

so I would suggest changing the head gasket and water gasket too while you are
doing things .... quick, easy and not too pricey compared to being stranded 10 miles from the dock.

Have you checked it for a spark?
The easy way is to have friend hold the plug wire while you crank the motor. You might need 2 friends.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344218#p344218 said:
Barefoot_Johnny » 08 Mar 2014, 18:14[/url]"]

so I would suggest changing the head gasket and water gasket too while you are
doing things .... quick, easy and not too pricey compared to being stranded 10 miles from the dock.
Barefoot makes a good point. I would like to suggest, however, that these engines have good heads and good gaskets. They're made to go the distance. Unless there is evidence of a problem, I would shy away from doing the head and water gaskets un-necessarily. It's not a 2 second job. If the engine has any corrosion issues, you can run into stubborn bolts ruining your whole day. Remember those engines are 35 years old, plenty of time to make stubborn bolts. Check carefully. If you see evidence of a water leak, loss of compression, or serious overheating, then maybe the decision has already been made for you. The old saying is worthy: If you fix anything long enough...it will break.

Latest posts