The good.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
I fired up the four hp Johnson that was the second motor with my "new to me" aluminum Gregor. After a few sputters, it roared to life and idled really well. Ran it at half throttle in a barrel of water as anything more would have emptied the barrel!

Not ever having a small motor like this (1976 model) I noticed it only has a START, SLOW, FAST AND STOP position. No neutral or reverse and no noticeable "pee hole" and am not even sure it is water cooled. Any ideas?

nomowork said:
I fired up the four hp Johnson that was the second motor with my "new to me" aluminum Gregor. After a few sputters, it roared to life and idled really well. Ran it at half throttle in a barrel of water as anything more would have emptied the barrel!

Not ever having a small motor like this (1976 model) I noticed it only has a START, SLOW, FAST AND STOP position. No neutral or reverse and no noticeable "pee hole" and am not even sure it is water cooled. Any ideas?

I'd bet it's water cooled. My dad has one like that, but I don't know anything about it. A lot of the old ones didn't have pee holes though. If it's that old I think I'd take it apart and change the impeller. It has to be dry rotted.

That motor has no neutral and you turn the motor 180 degrees for reverse. As for not seeing water pumping, look in the middle of the lower unit for a heavy mist.

I ran it for quite awhile yesterday and the block seemed cool to the touch. I looked up the parts for this motor and it has a "weedless" lower unit and the diagram does show an impeller in the lower unit. I will run it a little longer later this week. I may use this as a kicker on my fiberglass boat.

free jonboat said:
That motor has no neutral and you turn the motor 180 degrees for reverse. As for not seeing water pumping, look in the middle of the lower unit for a heavy mist.

Thanks. I ran it again today and there are about eight tiny holes halfway up the lower unit shaft that does spit water out. I guess I had that part submerged the other day.

I noticed also that the tilt cannot be locked into place in the forward position (transom clamps on the inside of the boat) but can be locked when rotated 180 degrees to have a reverse thrust. Why would that be? Maybe to protect the boat from the prop in the reverse position?