Mercury 25hp runs but won't go in gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlva

Reaction score
I have recently recieved a 1980's-ish 25hp mercury outboard (remote controls) for free. I was told that it will run great but will not go into gear. It was explained that there is a "shear pin" in the engine somewhere that breaks when thrown into gear too hard so that it won't blow up the motor. Does this sound legit and/or is it an easy fix? Or do I have an engine now that won't take me anywhere?

It was explained that there is a "shear pin" in the engine somewhere that breaks when thrown into gear too hard so that it won't blow up the motor.

Nothing in there that I would call a shear pin.

The old motors had shear pins on the prop shaft if that's what there talking about.

Your motor is a splined shaft.

Good chance that your shaft is cracked - Mercs do that - I had that happen twice on my merc engines.

They were 150 Optimax and I did not do the repairs so I cannot help you with mechanical advice

i just changed shaft on my 2009 merc. 20hp 4 stroke, if it is anything like mine it was amazlinly simple. the hardest part was getting the spring off the sliding clutch. my motor is somewhat new but in my searches for a used prop shaft i found several guys on ebay that had used shafts, send them a message. i got shafted by having to buy a shaft from mercury. so look around you may find one at a decent rate. the removal was 2 bolts on the shaft carrier hub and out it comes. dont even have to remove the lower unit.

Latest posts