1966 Johnson 20hp - grayish colored oil in foot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in the process of getting my 1966 20hp Johnson into proper working order. I bought it used and have rebuilt the carb and rebuilding the shift handle where it was broken. The last time I had it out I replaced the oil in the foot and noticed that it was grayish in color, I went ahead and replaced the oil and took it out (already promised the kids) When I got home i drained it again and of course there was the grayish oil. I am new at this and I have seen people talk about this being a problem, so this leads to my question. What do i need to replace to keep the water out of my oil, and is it very difficult?

Thanks to everyone!

J.C. said:
Hello everyone, I am in the process of getting my 1966 20hp Johnson into proper working order. I bought it used and have rebuilt the carb and rebuilding the shift handle where it was broken. The last time I had it out I replaced the oil in the foot and noticed that it was grayish in color, I went ahead and replaced the oil and took it out (already promised the kids) When I got home i drained it again and of course there was the grayish oil. I am new at this and I have seen people talk about this being a problem, so this leads to my question. What do i need to replace to keep the water out of my oil, and is it very difficult?

Thanks to everyone!

When you changed your gear oil, did you change the drain/fill plug washers too? If that doesn't work, I would buy a gearcase seal kit. Most of the job is easy to do. Changing the shift rod seal can be a challenge, but someone can help you make a tool when you get to that point. Good luck.

Latest posts