Question about fuel treatments

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I've read numerous posts where guys use "Seafoam" to treat fuel. I have never used a fuel treatment for my 2-stroke 1958 Evinrude Fastwin. Should I be using a fuel treatment? If so, what kind and how often? What are the benefits?

I don't use my boat like most on tin boats. I'm a duck hunter and I never know when the ice will be to thick to get out. When I fuel up for the season I run seafoam and sta-bil. Come spring I'll add Startron and seafoam to the remaining fuel and burn it in the truck.

About all I can tell you is that I had a 1988 30-hp Evinrude 2-stroke for 16 years and it was never in the shop once. There again, all I ever used was non-ethanol gas (just like I do today with my 25-hp Yamaha 2-stroke) and it never set up for long. Years ago I also read of a fuel treatment called PRI-G that's supposed to be good for all motors, including outboards. It's supposed to keep carbon from building up and other things as well and I used it most of those years and still use it today. It's relatively inexpensive and treats 256 gallons of gas. I've never used Startron, Sta-bil, Sea Foam, or anything else. I'm pretty easy on motors, so whether the PRI-G had anything to do with it or whether it was just the fact that the boat never sat around for long and I didn't use ethanol gas, I don't know.

if the 1958 is correct, that motor was never designed to run on ethanol gas, but probably won't hurt it but I don't really know. I would use the Stabil Marine version in every bit of gas you run thru that motor. Stabil only stabilizes the gas, and does not hurt the motor or any parts. Seafoam is more of a cleaning product IMO, ie carbon build up, etc. running some seafoam in the gas will help clean the carb, jets, things like that but I don't think it will it protect the motor from the ethanol in the gas. The stabil will help with that, by reducing the amount of water that is converted from the ethanol contained in the gas. I have some seafoam, and the can says fuel stabilizer, so it must do something to the ethanol fuel but i don't know what. If the motor is running rough, I would run some seafoam thru it. if you are wanting to stabilize the gas due to the ethanol content, I would use the Stabil marine version. Supposedly the startron stuff is good but have not used it.