trolling motor on 12' glass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawglet

Reaction score
I have a 12' mod.V with an overly tall deck due to the previous owners mis-calculations. The trouble is that I have no idea what I have for a trolling motor. It's a Motor Guide, foot controlled and very small. I've searched the net to figure out what it might be but haven't came up with any answers. My question is will a 30lb motor move this boat very well or should I step up to a 45lb? I really don't want to spend more than I have to but also we're planning on selling this boat in the spring and finding a tin boat in the 14-16' range so the motor may stay with that boat. Will a 30lb be enough for a 16' mod-v or jon or will they need that extra 15lbs of push?

a 30lb trolling motor should be enough for that little boat don't expect it to run you across the lake fast but it will move you

If you plan on keeping it with the "new tin" in the spring...then buy as big as you can afford. You won't regret it. I promise.

Running a "too small" troller on any boat will certainly be hard on the troller and battery. Running a larger TM as slower speeds will not only be easier on the troller, but also on the batteries and live a lot longer. IMHO

For what it's worth, I run a 67lb/24 Volt thrust on my 1756.

I can pick up a 45 lb tiller for about $120 a 55 would be nearly $200 and have to be ordered. I just don't know if a 45 will be enough on say a 16' alum. in the future? Of course, that is assuming that I keep the TM after the sale of the glass boat and I will definitely have a 15 to 25 tiller outboard for scooting. Sorry, maybe stupid newb question but spare my ignorance please!