25 HP Mercury to 35 HP 'Rude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish4thriLLs

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am really enjoying being here. Thanks to everyone in advance that replies to my question(s).

I am currently using a 1980 Mercury 25 HP long shaft motor on my 1980 Lowe Big Jon 1648 boat. It runs great and planes out well and quick. It is tiller steering.

A work buddy of mine has an Evinrude 35 HP from the '80s that is setup for console steering and includes the cables and stuff. My boat is rated for 35 HP max.

I have another work buddy that says he would give me $500 for my Merc if I were to decide to buy the 35 HP 'Rude, which I think I could get for around the same price.

My questions are:

1) Would there be that much difference in the performance between the two motors?
2) How much trouble would it be to change the 35 HP 'Rude over from console steering to tiller steering?
3) Or, would it be better to just locate a console and just set my boat up for steering wheel if I bought the 35 HP 'Rude?
4) Or, is it just a stupid idea and should I just keep my Merc 25 HP and leave well enough alone?

The main reason I am considering this change is for performance purposes. If there really isn't that much difference in performance between the two then I would just as soon keep my 25 HP tiller Merc.

Attachments

• Lowe Boat 008.jpg
    Lowe Boat 008.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 747
I'd make the switch. I think you will notice a big difference. You can make a tiller to steer with and use the control's like I did on my boat. I used a piece of 7/8 thick walled aluminum tube to make my tiller. let me know if I can help. Todd

lucescoflathead said:
I'd make the switch. I think you will notice a big difference. You can make a tiller to steer with and use the control's like I did on my boat. I used a piece of 7/8 thick walled aluminum tube to make my tiller. let me know if I can help. Todd

Okay Todd, please post some pics if possible with an example of what you've done to make a tiller steering.

Thanks!

Any more opinions/ideas?

If you look on he pictures of my boat,there are a couple of pictures of the tiller extension. I used a piece of 7/8 thick wall aluminum tube 3' long. I squeezed the one end flat in the vice. Drilled a hole in it to fit the bolt for the factory tiller. Then I cut a notch in the end so the tiller wouldn't move up and down. There 's a picture of this end in my photos.

I painted it blue metallic to try and match the motor, it's close but not a perfect match. I capped it with a bicycle grip from K-Mart.

I needed to lengthen the tiller and I didn't need one to turn as I use the remote throttle. I hope this helps. Todd

nomowork said:
Why is he selling the Evinrude? $500 sounds awfully low.

Actually, he's not trying to sell the Evinrude. It's a spare motor that came with the boat that he just bought to back up the 40 HP motor that came on the boat. It is his first boat.

Latest posts