Mercury 2005 8hp 4 Stroke motor gripes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyfish1977

Reaction score
Have a couple of questions about a new motor I just bought.I am a first time o\b motor owner,So sorry if sounds like silly questions.When I first start motor I need to warm it up for about 15-20 minutes if i dont ,it stalls and i can not start it up for 45 min. to 1 hour even if I pull rope 50 times is that normal?Also I checked oil it seems ok checked spark plugs seem ok.Motor only has 15 hours on it so its got me stumped.How often should I get oil changed?Is it easy to do it myself?Also carb is leaking a little bit of gas is that normal?I am pretty mech. inclined so i shouldnt have a problem.If I bought a manual for motor would I go through Mercury?Thank You for your time.

No, warming a motor up that long is not normal. As for the gas leak that may be your problem on the motor stalling. There should be NO LEAKS at all. If gas leaks out ---air leaks in. That motor should start in a couple of pulls.

Is fuel leaking from the bottom of the bowl on the carb?

It's a guess without being able to look at it but it sounds like your float valve may not be closing causing the motor to flood. Try disconnecting the fuel line after you crank it and see if it starts to run any better

Yes that is it thank you guys for the help. I am going to take carb out and investigate. How fast should that motor go at top speed on a 14 ft alum.Gregor with 450 lbs of ppl and gear??Its funny because once it gets started and warmed up ,the boat acts like I just bought it brand new.It trolls really low r.p.m. and never stalls.Only have a problem when cold and dont let warm up 15- 20 minutes.Fish on!

Dustyfish1977 said:
Yes that is it thank you guys for the help. I am going to take carb out and investigate. How fast should that motor go at top speed on a 14 ft alum.Gregor with 450 lbs of ppl and gear??Its funny because once it gets started and warmed up ,the boat acts like I just bought it brand new.It trolls really low r.p.m. and never stalls.Only have a problem when cold and dont let warm up 15- 20 minutes.Fish on!

I'd try to see exactly where the gas is dripping from before removing the carb.

Latest posts