17.5Hp motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
After mucking around with the boat the other day, I found the "Outboard Club" sticker - boat's so old it doesn't have a USCG sticker on it - and it lists the max recommended motor at 17.5Hp. Who made a 17.5Hp motor? One of the OMP names? Right now I've got a 7.5Hp on it, and while it's okay with just me and a tackle box if a buddy/dog/anything larger than 80# shows up with me I loose plane and quite a bit of speed.

I know that 18's are still around, but I've also heard that if I put a larger motor than the boat's rated for not only will cats and dogs rain from the sky but also my home will burn to the ground and I'll have a permanent scar of an "H" appear mysteriously on my forehead for the world to see. Well, maybe not THAT extreme, but I don't want to get in more trouble than necessary.

Forget the whole mess and just go for a 15 and not miss those 3 extra Hp?

C

Given your performance with a 7.5hp, a 15hp should be fine. Now, if a great deal came up on a 18hp, that's a personnel liability/risk issue that only you can answer. ;) A well maintained boat is not going to melt with 0.5hp over reg. Have a pic of the boat?

I'd put a Super Fast twin 15 Hp Evinrude on it. It would be about the same vintage as your boat. Your not over powered and they're supposed to be pretty fast. They also look cool. Just my opinion. Todd

Latest posts