Largest 4-stroke with both Recoil and Electric Start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT2

Reaction score
Shopping for a new motor off and on. Would like to hear from anyone who has a larger 4-stroke with both starting methods. I know Honda has a decompressor built in to the valve train on some of it's general purpose engines so thought maybe some outboards may do the same thing so recoil start would be possible on larger motors?

I'm not quite sure what you are considering here, but my first tin had a pull start 20hp Mercury 2 stroke. It took quite a tug on the rope to turn it over. (think about pull starting a 20hp lawnmower) If you find and decide to buy a large hp motor with pull start make sure you try it out before you purchase it.

gillhunter said:
I'm not quite sure what you are considering here, but my first tin had a pull start 20hp Mercury 2 stroke. It took quite a tug on the rope to turn it over. (think about pull starting a 20hp lawnmower) If you find and decide to buy a large hp motor with pull start make sure you try it out before you purchase it.
Looks like my local Nissan dealer sells a 30HP 4-stroke with electric start and recoil as a backup (he claims). I'm really not looking for any particular brand. My current 15HP 2-stroke Nissan is pretty much bullet-proof but I'm getting tired of polluting the environ. Unfortunately while changing the lower unit oil today it appears I'm needing a lower seal kit.

PATRIOT2 said:
gillhunter said:
Looks like my local Nissan dealer sells a 30HP 4-stroke with electric start and recoil as a backup (he claims). I'm really not looking for any particular brand. My current 15HP 2-stroke Nissan is pretty much bullet-proof but I'm getting tired of polluting the environ. Unfortunately while changing the lower unit oil today it appears I'm needing a lower seal kit.

I just ordered a Honda electric start 9.9 4-stroke for the tin in the attached thread for the same reason. I am fishing either all electric or 10hp restricted lakes. I have owned both a 25hp Rude and a 50hp Johnson 2 stroke in the past and both had rope starters for back up. Had a dead battery once with the 25 and about had a stroke pull starting it. :oops: After that I started using a good on board charger and took better care of my batteries. :LOL2:

I've pulled started a 40hp 2 stroke Suzuki and my curent 30hp Mariner.
I don't find it hard at all.
Normally thrid pull cold starting,after that not even a full pull,will start them.
Neither one had electric.

I know etec 40hp has an manual start or the option of both.
One of mercury's 40hp 4 strokes has rope start but the EFI and bigfoot models are electric.
Yamaha stops at 25 with manual,electric afterwards,Suzuki the same.(Suzuki has a easy start system)
Have to go down to a 20hp with a Honda for both.

When I first bought my boat it had a manual start 40hp JohnnyRude...Granted it was a 1989 2-Stroke, it took everything I had to pull that sucker (I'm 6'2 235lbs)!

94 40hp Suzuki
87 30hp Mariner
I really have know problems pulling...5'10 170lbs
I can see if they were a pain to start an electric would be nice but if they start in 3 pulls cold...not needed for me...yet
I'm also not saying I'd wouldn't use it,if I had it either.

Latest posts