'88 Evinrude Not Shifting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
Title says it all. The shift lever is extremely difficult to shift from forward to neutral. It's easier the other way around. Visually, I can't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

1988, 30 hp.

This is an old picture. The shifter is under the "R" in Evinrude. It won't shift back to neutral now (from forward). I have the lower unit completely off right now if that has any effect (for other repairs).

I take it this is a saltwater engine? The more information you give us the better the answer we can give you........... Anyway, since there is no picture you posted, if this model has the shifter on the side of the engine there is a cross shaft that goes toward the center of the exhaust housing that has two bushings. Chances are these bushings are dry and have corrosion in them and are binding the shaft. Not the easiest of repairs as far as time goes but fairly easy if you are mechanically inclined. Since you seperated the gearcase from the midsection another thing you did not mention in your last post was whether or not the gearcase shifted easily or whether the shifter handle was still the hard part to shift. Again, more information the better. We cannot read minds nor are we there to look at it with you.

Not a saltwater engine, bit it spent a few days in the salt earlier this summer. It was cleaned well afterwards.

I can't get the shifter handle to move.

Don't know why the picture didn't work the first time.

9.jpg

Don't know what other information to give, I don't know much about motors. I appreciate any help y'all can offer.

Latest posts