do i need this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarego

Reaction score
can i remove this? Im fairly new to boating i have a 1988 Mercury classic 50 45hp never messed with this type of oil tank i always mixed never owned a boat with one of these
DSCN1131.jpg

I do not know your motor but - that looks like an oil tank for an oil injected 2 stroke motor. If you were to remove it, 1) you would have to disconnect the oil injection system and 2) you would have to mix your fuel and oil from here on out.

at one time the actual oil injection on some motors were not that reliable, would break down/stop working and in turn, no oil in the mix, and ended up burning some pistons and rings based on various rumors/statments I have read. Which motors/models/manufacturers, I don't know, just heard the rumors. Google your motor and you may find out it has a reliable version, or you may find out otherwise. My 04 60 merc 2stroke has a mechanical oil mix with the tank, and have never had a problem. If I remember right, the mechanical versions are more reliable than the electrical versions.

If you don't get an answer here try the merc forum on https://www.iboats.com

I had a 94 Evinrude with oil injection that had tons of problems. The oil injection never worked right. 4 powerheads in the same year. As soon as I came off of the break in period where you mix oil in the gas, BOOM there went another head. I was on a first name basis with one of the DM's from OMC at the time. OMC ended up giving me a upgrade to a 115 faststrike and when I had my dealer install it we both opted to remove the oil injection. I mixed oil for the next 5 years and never had another problem.

I've had both...auto injection and hand mixed. I blew up a powerhead on a 150 Evinrude back in the mid 90's..when such systems were not very reliable.

Presently, I have an injection system on my current 2004 40 hp Johnson and am happy with it. I had it checked out by my very trusted mechanic of 15 years and he said it works great. He works on Johnsons and Evinrudes and knows what he is talking about.

All that said, if I had 1988 system, I'd research how to pull it out and then hand-mix the oil.
( Iboats suggested above is a good place)
regards, Rich

thanks trying to find something iboats has it listed with a bunch of extra parts .. im going to get a better look at her today

the only thing that i can actually determine after looking at this oil thing is it is just a mixer. one side looked as though the fuel mixed at one side and the other holds oil. the oil side it looks as though it is has an add oil sensor. (thoughts ?)

how important is it to have a inline fuel filter? i used to use just the treatment ? it supposedly got rid of the water and ethanol

anyone have a manual for this engine that can help a new boater determined [-o< if my calculations are correct ?

Fuel filter is very important its the only thing keeping trash from your carb. Even if your tank is clean you still get trash from the fuel pumps

Fuel treatment doesn't remove anything it helps keep the fuel molecules from separating. Pm Jim about your outboard manual, I thought I saw a post where he had manuals in pdf format?

Interesting topic. I have a 96 Merc that has the oil tank under the cowling. I'm also going to look at the possibility of removing the tank and just premix the gas/oil.

being it's an 88, that old of a motor, I would eliminate the oil injection, and pre mix 64:1 (2 ounce of oil every gallon of gas)
I know! supposed to go 50:1, but not really necessary!
Most outboards can run 100:1, but manufaturers want to protect their but, against people who can't measure correctly, and just state that a 50:1 ratio is what is needed. :wink:

Do you actually think that oil injection outboards run 50:1???
NOPE!
They run about 70-100:1 at idle, and then they adjust from there, according to rpms. 8)

if ya do nothing but "wot", then go 50:1, but if you vary alot on speed/rpms, I'd go 64:1. 8)

im hopefully going to try her out tomorrow got a universal fuel filter. im going to leave the sensor on and go from there like i said i do not think it is electric so i should ber alright worst could happen i here beeps as long as its oiled right. i know i had a Yamaha the mechanic where i got it from said to run it 100/1 ill start with 50 to one if she dont beep im might try going a little higher rather have more oil then to less !

clarego said:
i know i had a Yamaha the mechanic where i got it from said to run it 100/1 ill start with 50 to one if she dont beep im might try going a little higher rather have more oil then to less !

I wouldn't recommend 100:1 [-X
My 1986 6hp Johnson, that i just bought yesterday says 100:1 ratio right on the side of the motor, but the previous owner pointed out that he always ran 50:1, which was good news to me.
Like i said in my last post, I actually like a 2oz oil per gallon ratio, which again, makes it a 64:1 ratio. That's enough to lubricate well, but at the same time, will keep plugs from fowling, and internal parts from getting too carboned up.
Even better, run about an ounce of Seafoam per every 2 gallons of gas in her too! :wink:

i removed the plug seemed to work then trouble so set it back to the orginal Autoblend Tank same results the primer bulb is sucking flat [-o< i did get her going(loved it for the whole 3 minutes she was moving!!!!!!!) but now i have this problem and now lost, had all air tanks open auto blend auto and for the tank

i have two metal tanks are there filters in it ? only used one

could something else be creating this ?

:cry:

Only way the bulb would be sucked flat is if air couldn't get in from its outer end.

Any chance that you have the hose reversed, so that the one-way valve is working against you?

If that isn't it....can you borrow a hose from a fellow boat owner (same make) and substitute the different hose?

OR....Can you test your hose by putting some gasoline into an open container, and pumping it out the other end? (BE CAREFUL) You will have to hold the little shaft on the fitting in to allow fuel to flow. That shaft is pressed in by the connection piece on the motor itself in a normal operation.

Rich