Need help with outboard motor paint..... PLEASE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tortugel

Reaction score
I have a 15hp johnson outboard. I have it primed and taped up ready for paint. I cant find a paint just for boat motors or something that will work well and last a long time. PLEASE HELP. thank you guys for your time. TORTUGEL

Hi, did you try calling a place that sells autobody supplies...sure there are some good brand of paints out there...one name comes to mind...i think they are called Sikens...i think they are from Germany...let me know how it goes but before you buy your paint ask the shop if your primer is ok to be used with their paint...you mai have to re-prime just to get a good adhesion :D .
Dan

I have thought about automotive paints. Ive did alot of research on paints and painting boats.... brain over load. I read about this guy using rustoleum high gloss industrial paint. ( LOOKED GOOD ) What is your opion on this? Will it hold up for a long time ? Would it work for painting the motor ? I have used rustoleum primer on the boat and motor. ( self etching ) Now back to automotive paint i think that it would be the best choice and would last a long time. The primer is what i worry about since i already have it primed i prefer not to have to redo it. Yea im not going to redo it. TY for your help.

rustoleum paint is not that expensive and last a long time.you should use a hardner,such as valspar from tractor supply.this makes the paint hard as a rock.i have done a few boats and motors and never had a problem with it.sand it all down,use the etching primer ans spray or roll on.
paint

Final WET Sanding with 180 Grit
Wash Down with 50/50 mix of White Vinegar and Water.
Prime with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer
Paint with Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint using the following formula.

1 qt paint
1/2 cup Acetone
2 oz Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener (Sold @ Tractor Supply)
Applied using the Roll n' Roll Method. (If Spraying thin with 2 Cups of Acetone and use HVLP Gun with 1.8mm Tip)

Latest posts