Suzuki 92 40hp Jet... spark plugs, tune up, etc...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trpastor

Reaction score
Hey guys - Just got ahold of a 40hp Suzuki jet. Runs and starts pretty good but a little rough in idle.

I pulled the plugs and they are black and have deposits on them. (see photos). does this look normal? It says to replace them another kind if they are running cold (evidenced by black deposits, etc).

Also, on the fuel filter, it says to clean with a solvent. Would denatured alcohol work?

Thanks for your help!
Tim

OOPS, forgot these...

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 417
OH, one more question now... I'm trying to get the dang fuel filter off. The manual says to twist counter clockwise (I'm assuming I'm turning the right way, but because of the angle it's not totally clear, but I'm assuming it's the traditional direction you'd go for 99% of things). The thing is not budging. I've tried a pair of pliers, but it looks like it's about to tear the thing open before it un twists it.

It never hurts to put in new plugs when you just get a outboard.

I would also check impeller clearance and sharpen it if needed an d hit the grease on the jet while your at it.

unsure of the removal style needed for the fuel filter.

Update: I got the fitler off. It was a BEAR to get off, but did.

Do you think looking at the plugs, there is somethign wrong with the engine or plugs? I don't know a lot about engines, but they seems pretty covered and gritty. I guess carbon deposits, which I would assume means it's running cold and not burning everything?

would changing the gap help that?

It is running a little bit rich from the looks of it. I would get new plugs and set the gap according to what Suzuki say's. Run it the rest of the summer and check'm once in awhile. A new impeller (not for the jet) for the motor is always a good idea too.. since you just got it you dont know the last time it was done.. unless PO told you other wise.

If you have any major concerns go to iboats.com and post the plug pict's in the Suzuki/Yamaha section, wont take long and you can get multiple opinions on it.

Cool, thanks for your help!

I'll ask them.

So the impeller for the motor I guess is further up the shaft of the engine? I'm not even sure where that would be. Sorry for my ignorance. I've never really worked on outboards. My equipment mostly used to consist of tennis shoes, a pole and a bag of lures.

Here are a couple of sites to keep you learning..

https://outboardjets.com/faqs.php

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/outboard_jet_maintenance.htm

Yes, you have to drop the whole jet foot to replace the water pump impeller for the motor.

Enjoy..

Latest posts