'74 Merc 110 won't start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HahnZooKeeper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So glad this forum is here and you are all so willing to help a novice like me. Now let's get down to it, I recently did something crazy! I bought a boat, motor, and trailer from a friend and of course she doesn't run...yet.
Being new to the boat thing, I'm trying to take "baby steps". I don't have alot of experience with two stroke engines, nor do I with outboards. My boys and I cleaned up the boat and trailer. We got the boat set better on the trailer (the bunks weren't touching and it was forward on the trailer too far).
So now to the outboard motor! It's a '74 Mercury 110 9.8hp that looks really clean and well taken care of. I read the owner's manual from cover to cover and try desperately to follow the instructions as good as I can. I get my fuel mixed (50:1) and pump the bulb. I hear it hissing, which I assume is air burping from the carb. And I begin the tortuous pulling of the recoil. Nothing, not even a miss-fire!!! I remove the cowl and see a puddle of fuel below the carb. Does any have any advise or know exactly what to do, who I can talk to, or where to get parts???
Please help the new guy!?!

Pull the plugs to see if ya have spark & if ya have a compression gage take compression.

Don't use starting fluid.Quickest way to ruin a 2 stroke

Glad to have ya aboard =D>

You should finish your profile so fellow Tinboaters know where you live.

You may have a Tinboater in your backyard.

How long has the motor been sitting? Have someone pump the ball while oyu look at the carb to see if there is an obviouse area that is leaking. You may just want to rebuild the carb to be safe. It is very easy to do. Also depending on how long it has been sitting, put in new plugs, new impeller, and lower gear case lube. You can do all of this for probably about $100 in parts and a few hours yourself. Good luck!!

Thanks for the great advice and you're right, I need to finish my profile. But for me, this is even rare to have a few moments to myself. We have six kids, two beautiful girls and four boys. That's mainly what the boat is for, the boys and myself so I will not let them go without sharing a few special moments. But, if I 'm honest, I really want to take the girls out on the boat and drown some worms just to get some conversation with them too.
Alright, back to the business at hand. Yes, those spark plugs were bad!!! They are out of there! Already replaced them. But this carburetor is another story. I finally raised the courage to remove it today (boy, did that bring back memories!). And tore it down. Finally noticed the numbers on the side (DUH!!! How did I miss those before???) Mercarb 1364-4929. It's coming together now because I am armed with knowledge (not alot!). As a matter of fact, I even found a kit via eBay. Just so happens it's right here in Fort Wayne (where I live) funny huh?!? It's a Sierra kit, does anyone have experience with that brand of kit? Well anyway, the price is right at $8.50 can't go wrong, right??? I even found an exploded view for the carb on this crazy internet. I LOVE IT!!!
Anyway, after today, I'm as excited as my little boys were to go pick up the boat the day we bought her. Who's with me???
Thanks so much, Jeremy

This it the motor. And the carb in pieces.

Attachments

• Merc carb 5.jpg
    Merc carb 5.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Mercury boat motor 2.jpg
    Mercury boat motor 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,280
Thank you to all who gave me advice and even those of you that didn't. I haven't rebuilt a carburetor in years, I forgot how nerve-racking it can be! But fun in its own way too. Maybe the correct word is challenging, because that's what it was.
Anyway, it's alive!!! And it's great, how rewarding to work on that old stuff and bring it back to life. She purrs like a kitten.

Attachments

• Boat motor running 1.jpg
    Boat motor running 1.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 1,267