67 evinrude 18 hp fastwin?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeordie092

Reaction score
hello, i have a 1967 evinrude 18hp fastwin motor i just can not seem to get running, it will hit off of starting fluid but nothing else.... i rebuilt the carb yesterday, i have checked to make sure of good spark, im probably going to install an electric fuel pump today, anyone have any other suggestions?

You say it has good spark but have you looked at the coils or points? Those motors didn't use pressure tanks so I wouldn't mess with an electric pump. If there is a tear in the diaphragm you can still run the motor but if it's clogged up though you will need to clean,rebuild, or replace. Sierra pumps can be had for around $35 off ebay and fit a wide variety of OMC motors so need not be 18hp specific.

I would double check your carb work and make sure your adjustments are correct. If you can get it to run long enough you could also try sea foam. I had a '68 and getting the carb just right took some patience on my part. I ran it with a bad pump for test spin, one hand on the tiller, other on the bulb.

sixgun86 said:
You say it has good spark but have you looked at the coils or points? Those motors didn't use pressure tanks so I wouldn't mess with an electric pump. If there is a tear in the diaphragm you can still run the motor but if it's clogged up though you will need to clean,rebuild, or replace. Sierra pumps can be had for around $35 off ebay and fit a wide variety of OMC motors so need not be 18hp specific.

I would double check your carb work and make sure your adjustments are correct. If you can get it to run long enough you could also try sea foam. I had a '68 and getting the carb just right took some patience on my part. I ran it with a bad pump for test spin, one hand on the tiller, other on the bulb.

i got it running finally... when i rebuilt the carb, i forgot to clean one stinkin jet. ONE JET! thats the high speed jet.. evidently, the motor wont even run or if it does it will run badly if that specific jet is clogged, or at least thats what a marine mechanic told me. i cleaned the jet, double-checked my carb adjustments, put everything back on and shot it with some johnsens' starting fluid with upper cylinder lube and she fired right up. took a few times to get it adjusted to stay running, but it runs.

after running for a little bit, the pull-start assembly on top of the flywheel pretty much broke all to pieces. so for now, im using electric start only (hoping nothing fails with it) and in the morning my buddy and i are going to attempt to weld and then re-tap the pull start mechanism... one problem after another lol

oh i forgot to mention im going to attempt to take this one to the lake on the boat i got it with, a '76 starcraft 13'9" aluminum boat.. hope it floats lol :LOL2:

boat floats and motor runs absolutely wonderfully.. bow rises and planes out quite nice and probably does about 30 or 35 on the water :LOL2: