FNG makes a SCORE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS225

Reaction score
Well, maybe not a "SCORE!", but a score to me. :D

Hit a not-so-local farm auction today that had a Johnson 5.5hp outboard listed in the paper. Looking around, I see no evidence of said engine. :? Wander in to an outbuilding where there's what looks like a few piles of trash. Hiding under a batch of stuff, I spy the engine cover for it. 8) Hmmmm, wonder where the rest is?
Find one of the family, he directs me to someone else. They thought it was scrap, so it's out back in the scrap piles. #-o
Start looking harder, and find the rest of the engine. :)
Auctioneer finally gets around there with the crowd in tow, and I have to request seperate bidding on the engine, as he's trying to sell the entire area for one bid as scrap. [-X
Had to go a little higher than I really wanted, but carried away a '59 Johnson, 5.5 hp outboard, complete, for $35. =D> Might cost me a bit more to find a pressurized fuel tank for it, or retrofit it with a pump. The guy that told me where it was earlier, also told me it had been in running condition last year, but had a water pump problem. It did have compression, and the prop turned when I pulled the starter cord, so it just might be worth saving. [-o<
I suppose I could adapt a 5 horse, air cooled, vertical shaft B&S to it. :?: :idea:

Goes to show, folks, if it's listed and you don't see it, ask somebody.

Roger

Latest posts