Help: motor issues??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought my first boat, a used 14' Grumman fisherman deep-V, plus trailer and 1988 Mercury 2-cycle 9.9 hp outboard.

Today I decided to "winterize" the motor as I don't plan on taking the boat out until spring.

1) I lubed all the lubrication fittings
2) I changed the lower unit oil. It looked fine when I drained it. I removed both screws and filled it from the bottom until it flowed out the top overflow.
(It seemed to take more oil to fill it than what drained out.)
3) I filled the can with fresh gas with 2-cycle oil (50:1) plus Stabil with ethanol treatment.
4) I started the motor and let it warm up. The lower unit was submerged in an 18 gal tupperware tub of water. (I noticed that the water seemed to become a
bit oily)
5) After the motor warmed up, I sprayed some CRC Engine Stor into the carburator for about 5 seconds. The motor struggled then stalled (normal).

I turned the water off and was preparing to remove the spark plugs to squirt some engine stor in the holes, but I noticed what looked like "runny milk chocolate" running down the motor shaft from the "tell tale hole"

At this point I stopped.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

I've never owned an outboard before, but this doesn't seem right.

Did I overfill the lower unit oil? (I was very careful not to!)

Do I have a leaky seal?

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on how to proceed.

Thanks!

OK, I did some googling and it seems like this is normal after fogging the motor for storage.

The unburnt fogging oil gets expelled through the exhaust.

So I guess I can stop worrying :mrgreen:

Because I just bought it, and my fall project is to strip it, clean it, paint it, frame it, deck it, etc, etc, :mrgreen:

I doubt it will be ready before spring...

jasper60103 said:
dkuster said:
Hi Everyone,

Today I decided to "winterize" the motor as I don't plan on taking the boat out until spring.

Why not? :cry:

Latest posts