starter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish2keel

Reaction score
Hey guys

Does anyone know how hard it is or who fixes starters in florida?

My boat mechanic said that a electrical auto parts company can replace or fix the starter. Ive never heard of this before. I dont mind trying to fix it myself just have never gone about fixing a starter before.

Its a 40hp evinrude from 89. Thanks guys in advance!

F2k

I don't know anything about fixing them, but I found a brand new starter on ebay for $62 (+free shipping) a year ago. Hardly worth messing with for that price if you can buy new. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=583482&_sacat=0&_odkw=0583482&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Completely agree there is someone on there that has one for my motor I was just going to see if repairing it is worth it since i already have the starter or just buy another altogther

I've had many starters and alternators rebuilt sometimes it can be much cheaper.

There's a place out here thats been doing it for 40+ years. I'm not sure how you go about finding a shop in your area.

Pappy,

Pretty easy repair or do I need the shop to do it? Not sure the amount on it either....i hope its not to much

Can you rebuild a starter at your house or do I need some special skill to do it? I would perfer to do it myself if there is a kit since then if it goes out again i can fix it.

fish2keel said:
Can you rebuild a starter at your house or do I need some special skill to do it? I would perfer to do it myself if there is a kit since then if it goes out again i can fix it.

I cleaned and replaced the brushes on my starter, on a 86 Merc 115.. it wasnt hard and just takes patience, depending on if your mechanicaly inclined you shouldnt have an issue.

Get a manual and a brush kit..each should be between $20.00 and $30.00..

Thanks! Im pretty mechanically inclined to say the least....i help build drones at Embry Riddle haha

I got a manual so Ill order a bush kit and just give it a whirl!

Got any advice with the build that I should look out for? Hope itll be pretty straight forward

Thanks pappy there closed today but im going to get one from them tomorrow or wed.

Pappy where do you ride by the way? I saw your central florida

oh ok im in brevard county....ill be going to brevard marine and try to get my brush kit or a rebuild....

now I got to figure out this prop....is there a program to figure out the size and pitch prop I need?

Well took the starter to brevard marine services and they took it apart, cleaned the brushes, and put a new annotator or something on it and it works like a champ! It only cost 50 bucks out the door! Can you believe im only in this motor 300 bucks for the motor and repairs! Cant beat that!!

Motor is getting dropped on the boat tomorrow then hopefully if weather is good taking it out this weekend for either some riding or some alligator hunting

Well had the starter put back on the motor and not the motor isnt turning any better than before I took it to brevard marine.

I talked to them over the phone and they were actually pretty rude. They said that although the motor tested fine on the bench and worked that if it is put back on the motor it sometimes wont work....Is this true?

Im pretty dissapointed in this shop and wont be going back. Im not really sure what to do now. The starter turns really really slow now and itll fire the motor but it takes a heck of a long time and really has to work.

I guess its either a full rebuild or im going to just have to buy another starter

That stinx to have a place youve already paid for service be rude to you.

Good way to lose a customer and a better way to get a bad rep..

If there rebuild didnt work see if you can a donor for testing purposes.

Well according to them they just did the bushings and cleaned it and thats all. I got a very rude email after my call to them saying that their mechanic knew what he was talking about and I didn't nor did my mechanic.

They have lost a customer for sure. If someone has better business with them thats great but I will not return.

Im not really sure what to do now other than fork out 120 bucks for a brand new starter. I can't find a rebuild kit online or atleast I don't know the place to find them.

Latest posts