Evinrude Tiller Handle Not Pumping, Pulled Foot, Looked Good

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
Picked up an Old two stroke Evinrude Tiller handle. The seller told me it wasn't pumping water and I have verified this after starting it up in a test tank. I've pulled the foot and the impeller, housing, & key on the drive shaft looked fine. Lined it up properly with tubing going to the power head and re-installed. Still not pumping. Getting nothing but exhaust.

When I removed the Drive shaft it came out of the lower unit. With a little convincing I was able to get it out of the power head and back into the foot to install the pump. Seems nothing is keeping it in place... Could this be why I'm not pumping? Any other ideas??

What engine is this and does it have an overboard indicator hole?
On the small engines there is nothing to hold the driveshaft in the gearcase when the pump housing is removed. The end of the shaft is splined to the pinion gear when installed. That is normal and will not create any issue as far as pumping goes. Depending on how old the engine is there may be a possibility of the splines being gone in the bottom of the crankshaft. If that is the case the shaft will not turn nor will the pump operate. You can check this by removing the shaft from the gearcase and installing it into the crank and see if the splines are intact.
To test the pump operation you can always place the gearcase in a bucket of water and turn the shaft with a drill and see if the pump is working. That will eliminate half of the possibilities.