Prop Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been restoring my older 14' polar craft and recently purchased a 25 hp mercury. It's a 1984 merc with a pretty beat up aluminum prop. So I've been searching for a replacement prop, but keep getting lost in the details. So, could someone please point me in the right direction. I want to know what is the best prop for replacement, aluminum or stainless, what diameter and pitch? Also the best place to purchase online.

I'm sorry if this topic has already been beat to death, but I'm tired of searching.

Thanks.

I have to props.One stainless for when I'm in open water & know I probably not going to hit nothing & the aluminium for the little rivers where I might hit something.Pitch will depend on the weight of your rig.

I am same as crazyman. Stainless are great but unforgiving. I would rather throw a blade than a lower unit with an aluminum prop.

Depends.

If you're a careful boater and know your water conditions, a stainless is going to be slightly faster, quicker more durable...and more expensive but adds a little value to the outboard. Aluminum is cheaper, lower performance. If it's all confusing, go back to the factory installed prop. Hard to go wrong with that option.

Now if you just have a tendancy to run shallow waters or waters filled with hidden stumps, rocks, trees, etc and you're one of those guys who tends to hit stuff, aluminum is probably going to be just fine. As far as aluminum being more forgiving, well there may be some truth to that...as the softer blades will bend easier than stainless will, but I can't see it being much more forgiving. I've seen just as many broken gearcases with an aluminum prop as I have with a SS prop. 90% of them are small jon boats, 25 HP, duck hunting rigs used in flooded timber and the operators are always trying to beat the other boats to the spot....so they just run over everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S3em2qUzfk

Latest posts