Rebuilding my 1960 40hp Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatherBFishin

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1972 15' Cherokee that came with a 1960 40hp Johnson. Im trying to decide whether I should try to get it running or just save up to buy a newer model. What do you guys think? All I know so far is that it is not seized up and the previous owner said that it was running before he let it sit outside for a few years. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks

Attachments

• SDC10875.JPG
    SDC10875.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 833
Thanks sixgun. I'll give it a shot. Can I check the compression without having my electric start? Like just with the pull cord? Probably a dumb question but I'm not exactly an outboard expert :D

RatherBFishin said:
Thanks sixgun. I'll give it a shot. Can I check the compression without having my electric start? Like just with the pull cord? Probably a dumb question but I'm not exactly an outboard expert :D

Yes.

When you check compression make sure the throttle is wide open, if you don't you won't get an accurate reading.

Thanks for the responses guys. Helps a lot. If I were to get the owners manual would that be a good enough resource to walk me through rebuilding this engine? I'd really like to do it without taking it to a shop. I'd like to learn on this engine so my next one wont be such a challenge to work on.

RatherBFishin said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Helps a lot. If I were to get the owners manual would that be a good enough resource to walk me through rebuilding this engine? I'd really like to do it without taking it to a shop. I'd like to learn on this engine so my next one wont be such a challenge to work on.

The antique outboard motor forum (https://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember) is another good resource and someone may be able to help you out with a manual. Good luck.

Latest posts