evinrude 9,9 needs paint**help! i need ideas of what paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukelona

Reaction score
hi i am trying to paint my motor. its a 9,9 evinrude
what kind of paint do i use to paint the aluminum?
it has to withstand heat n stick t aluminum but at
same time it needs to match the hood and stick to fiberglass
any ideas>?

I think it all depends upon how much you would like to spend and how much experience you have. I was on a budget with little experience and when I repainted my motor i sanded down all the loose and rough paint to the aluminum and fiberglass. I then used several coats of a self etching primer on the outside of the motor for a base. For my top coat of paint i was worried about heat but it really never ran hot enough to discolor the paint. However, I still used an engine enamel that was meant for car motors from the local auto part store just to be safe. It was around $5 a can. I have pictures on my build if it helps and I had little experience before I started. Hope this helps.

probably the best thing you can do is to go to an auto parts store that carries automotive paint and ask them. I know for a fact that some of these stores can put high end paints into an aerosol can for you. This would be much better quality than you can buy off the shelf. Don't worry about heat, your engine is at a max temp of 135f at idle, much less than what an automobile engine runs at and the exhaust is mixed with water.

contact your local marina and buy (or order on-line) the Evinrude spray paint for that year motor. Use high grade heat resistant primer. I did this to my Johnson 9.9 and it turned out great.... Several light coats rather than trying to cover in one coat....