Motor upgrade from 35 to 40 hp.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintcreek

Reaction score
I am contemplating a upgrade from a 35 hp to a 40 hp motor, both are 80's models and the 40 hp seems to be in good shape. I would actually buy the 40 and then keep the 35 for a back up if I ever needed it. I have a 16' x 48" Lowe with aluminum decks and steering rated for 55 hp. Do you think if propped out right I would gain much speed, or would the weight difference in these motors eat up the hp? A friend has the motor and he is giving me a good deal.

Flintcreek

I would guess that if both engines are good and healthy, you might see 2-3 mph increase. Depends on the models you're talking about as well, some 35s are just restricted 40s, so a weight change could be negligible.

My 35 is the one that is the same size as the 25 hp. The 40 hp is the one that is the same as the 55 hp. Actually the carbs on it are off a 48 hp Johnson.

Flintcreek

flintcreek said:
My 35 is the one that is the same size as the 25 hp. The 40 hp is the one that is the same as the 55 hp. Actually the carbs on it are off a 48 hp Johnson.

Flintcreek

So it is a 40 in sticker only? ;)

Not sure of the weight difference, but the additional displacement should mean better hole shot. I would guess a few mph wot increase too.

Buy it. You'll feel the diffrence. If ithe carbs are 48's then they're the same thin as the 50hp carbs. Only reasons these motors rated up to 60hp is becasue they use to rate hp at the powerhead and now the rate it at the prop. If your motor right now is a johnson/evinrude 25-35hp you'll be going from 31.8 cube crossflow motor to 45cubes loop charge(more power).
Great motor parts are pretty cheap and they're tough as nails and easy to work on. If you want to go all out hot rod on them you can get around 70hp out of one if you know the right things to do or want to spend the money to have someone do it for you.

Lil' Blue Rude, what all can you do to one of these to soup it up a little....I had thought about holding off and trying to find a 55 hp....which is max boat is rated for, but if I could soup it up some without spending too much money it would be worth it.

Flintcreek

Buy the motor your talking about. There will be no gain to a 55hp because it was an older motor that was rated at the powerhead instead of being rated at the prop. What year is the 40hp your talking about? The 40-50hp johnson 2 cylinders changed a little in around 89. The powerheads stayed the same for the most part. Newer models had internal tilt trim offered.
Easy and cheap ways of making power on these motors: carbs(48hp or 50 same thing), reeds($45-$60), shave the head around .035"($25-$50). Those are three of the cheepest and easiest ways to get some more power. You can also cut the old exhaust off and have a new exhaust tuner built and welded on. Kind of a cow bell mega phone looking thing. But that would be a little more involved because you would have to rejet the carb. Porting is what will brings these motors ALIVE!!! There are a couple other mods that can be done to help this or that but then your geting into a full blown race motor. I love my 40hp evinrude and love the way it performs, runs with alot of built 70hps and gets better gas milage then them too :mrgreen: Alot of guys around here run them and love how reliable they are as long as you take care of them. Torquey motors,we run them with outboard jet pumps, lose 1/3 of the power but when the waters 3" deep in places you gotta do what you gotta do.
Here's a couple vids of my boat running a 60hp etec and a 60hp johnson (not stock :mrgreen: ). 1000ft drag up river.
this is the johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeEiDHMNFk
This is the etec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqKipcwZXT0

Thanks, I have got to get out and see my buddy and get this motor sounds like it may be worth the trouble to upgrade.

Flintcreek

Thanks,Yeah it's a blast to drive.
It's not a tunnel hull it's just a flat bottom jon. Blazer SS 16' 42" solid .80gauge boat. No body aorund here runs a tunnel that I know of.

Latest posts