motor mounting bolts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenisD

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking for help and/or opinions. I have a 25 Suzuki V-twin 4-stroke (about 150lbs.) mounted to a CMC tilt/trim unit with 3/8" SS bolts on top holes and 5/16" SS bolts on bottom holes. I want to raise the motor to get back some speed I lost after adding pods. It looks like I can raise the motor about 1-3/8". My question is will the bolts be strong enough to hold the motor without it resting on the top of the tilt/trim unit, or should I come up with some kind of a spacer to place between tilt/trim unit and motor clamp? Blocking the motor up on temp spacers drilling new holes and just having the bolts hold the motor sounds a lot easier and faster to do, but concerned about just bolts being strong enough. The bolts I'm using now are largest that fit motor mounting holes and I'm not using the clamps. Thanks for any help and suggestions. DenisD

I couldn't imagine your outboard breaking those bolts and even if so all four wouldn't fail at the same time. You can replace the SS bolts with grade 8 for more strength. I would just slip a fitted piece of wood between em and bolt it up.

Latest posts