1970's 6hp evinrude low gear problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeeezy

Reaction score
I recently bought a 6hp 1970's evinrude for 150$. I took it for a rip on my 12ft aluminum boat, the motor starts first pull, idles perfect, accelerates like a top and can maintain top speed without any issue. The problems arise when I try to hit the lower speeds that I'd like to troll at it will cough for about a minute and then eventually cut out and I have not a clue what I should do to resolve this issue I'm new to outboards and looking for anyone's input on the matter thank you for your time and hope to hear back from some of you.

Sounds like your low speed needle on your carburetor is out of adjustment or you may have some sludge in the low idle passage.

Here is link to a website with a parts diagram for your motor and you can order parts or carburetor kit or what not. Plug in your model number and your good to go. You can even call them or email if you have questions about carburetor kit numbers if you can find it on the diagram.

www.marineengine.com

Here is a link to great how to article for your series of motor.

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm

Good luck

Latest posts