New transom board, no motor- should i drill?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 12' aluminum boat. I have since ripped out the old rotted transom and replaced. I haven't drilled through the boards yet. The boat has existing holes which I assume mount the motor to the boat as well as the boat to the transom boards. Should I wait to drill these till i get the new motor?

Not sure exactly how outboard motors mount. Do they just mount inside the boat with the two threaded swivel bolts? I also plan on making a jack plate in the future...I don't want any necessary holes drilled.

Hi,
I would wait untill the motor comes in then i would for sure drill for two reasons, first...for more sturdy mount/safe and secondly i would for reasons of let's say "theft deterent"...in that case i would consider a McGuard outboard lock bolt.
Dan =D>

DanMC said:
Hi,
I would wait untill the motor comes in then i would for sure drill for two reasons, first...for more sturdy mount/safe and secondly i would for reasons of let's say "theft deterent"...in that case i would consider a McGuard outboard lock bolt.
Dan =D>
Thanks dan...that sounds like the best thing to do.

Latest posts