1983 25hp Evinrude carburetor problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpena

Reaction score
I have a 1983 25hp Evinrude outboard that's been sitting about 4 years. I tried to start it but would only run momenterly with starting fluid. I think it's the carburetor? Any ideas and how hard is it to put a carb kit in one of these? I have experience with lawn mower engines but are they much harder?

Thought for sure someone else would have answered this by now. No, the carb is not difficult to rebuild. I would suggest you purchase an OEM kit for the carb as the kit will include a new float as well as alcohol resistant gaskets. Some to most aftermarket kits are somewhat incomplete compared to the OEM kits. When you disassemble, do it completely, including the plug in the top of the carb if so equipped. Pull all jets out and clean, run a piece of tag wire or soft copper wire through all passages and lift tubes and fully clean the carb. Reassemble and set your low speed needle at 1 1/2 - 2 turns from a lightly closed needle. Allow engine to warm completely and set the needle while the engine is on the boat and in the water to make sure the static waterline height and back pressure are consistant with what you will normally run. Adjust the needle clockwise in 1/8 turn increments until the engine spits lean and then back the needle out around a 1/4 turn.

Thanks for the info I will try this next weekend. Now if it it's a fuel pump is there a way of checking that?

Fuel pumps are simple to diagnose. If the engine will run while pumping the bulb but not run on its own its usually the fuel pump. Other factors such as air in the fuel system can throw the proverbial wrench into this diagnosis but in general its that easy.

Well received my Carb & Fuel pump kit. I removed the starter and Carb today & noticed that all the fuel lines were attached with zip ties...? Is this normal? Are they a special type of zip type or did some improvise?

The OEM zip ties are special. They have a pair of small circular shaped fingers at the ratchet that help form the tie into a round shape that will apply even pressure all the way around the hose and create a good seal. Should be available through a dealer if you want to do the job right and so far it sounds like you have done it that way.

yes sir! Thank you, I will look for them can probably get from the same place I got the kits from, I saw some other stuff I wanted to order. Might as well get them.
Thanks Again!

Latest posts