2004 F2.5 Fast Idle and violent shift into forward

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatteryMan

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to reduce the idle speed on the little 2.5hp yamaha 4-cycle? I am wondering if one of the air adjustment screws or one of the jets could be adjusted to bring the idle speed down to something reasonable. Ran the engine on the lake for 2 hours today, and each time I shift from neutral into forward, the unit slams into the transom and violently engages the prop. I took a close look at the throttle linkage, and loosened the cable, etc. No obvious adjustment that I could see.

--BatteryMan

the idling RPM should go down(or up, depending which way you turn) with a few turns of the idle adjustment screw. you should do this while the engine is running so that you can easily dial in on a good idling RMP. i'm not familiar with your motor, but the idle on my 2hp motors can be adjusted without removing the cowling. can be done in the garage, but better if your boat is on the water so that the lower unit is submerged at the normal operating depth.

if that doesn't solve the problem, maybe your carb needle is loose or needs to be adjusted. i have never experienced a loose carb needle on an outboard before, but it happened on my dirt bike. super scary. :shock:

Latest posts