Evinrude 28hp spl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHaus41369

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. Gotta say love the site...its helped me research and pick out what I hope will be the right boat. Picked up a 1992 Smokercraft Resorter 151 with a 1991 Evinrude 28 spl. Got what I think is a great deal 2000.00 yes seen and heard motor run took it for a spin before i bought it. Only thing is I cant find out much information about this motor. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Kevin

The engine is basically the 30hp engine on the older non-through hub exhaust midsection. It was built as a no frills engine designed to go after those who wanted a good bang for the buck in the 25-30hp range. By the time that engine was built the gearcase had been redesigned and was pretty much bulletproof. You have a nice engine! Would do routine service on the engine including a complete water pump assembly, new gear lube, grease the grease fittings, new fuel filter if equipped, and new fuel lines if yours have been hardened over time, remove prop and check for fish line and grease the shaft while there, grease the cowl latches, and do a good general cleaning. The engine is to be run on a 50:1 mixture but a little more oil never hurts anything and you shouldn't see any excess smoke.

thanks for the info....I got paperwork that said the carb was rebuilt over last winter...new plugs..hoses... fuel filter....gear lube...but nothing bout the impeller/water pump....so that might be something im gonna look into or call the place that did the work. He didnt plan on selling this boat...but his wife went out n bought him a new boat w/o him knowing ( WHAT A WIFE !!! ) so he put this up for sale.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll now i got questions...I took the boat out for its maiden voyage with me as its owner....Tank was bout 1/4 full i drained the gas put a lil bit of fresh gas in swished the tank n dumped it... filled it with fresh gas ( premimum 92 oct ) used penzoil marine 2 cycle oil bout maybe 17 oz...and added some stabil to the tank....she started right up and ran really strong snappy response did low speed cruise speed high speed checks n then....after bout 15 20 mins she just stopped during high speed....after that she would start with choke lever up any pos run for 10 or so sec n then die i checked the fuel hose no leak connections no leaks pulled the cover no gas leaks...eventually she started but now she ran with a slight mis the speed not there feels like something was pulling on the back of the boat...im not much of a small motor guy but i pick up something left in the tank and clogging the jet or line ?? im going to buy a new plastic tank and new lines tank now is old metal one the guy i bought it from wasnt home today so i couldnt ask any questions i will be calling him tomorrow about the carb rebuild but i would really love some input stumps me that it ran so great and then died out to run like crap

Latest posts