1973 Evinrude 25hp Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbassin2003

Reaction score
I have a 1973 25hp pull start motor, specifically, model 25302A. Assuming I am totally new to outboard motors, which I am, What should I do before I even try to start it for the first time. Supposedly the engine ran perfect but has not been started in 6 years, was stored fogged.

I was thinking: First check the compression, Look it it over and look for rotten fuel lines and electrical lines, Clean or replace the spark plugs and set the gap, Replace the lower unit lube. Change out the impeller, rebuild the carb, and order a sierra tune up kit, has new points and such I believe in it.

Am I doing to little or to much here? not so concerned about going overboard but don't want to do to little :D

J.D.

When you change the lower unit oil if it has water in it re-seal the lower.Also put some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders before turning over since it has sat 6 years.Sounds like you have most of the bases covered.
It might have low compression since it has sat 6 years.Possibly run some sea foam through it to loosen the rings up after you get it going.Points on your motor are set at .020.

Cool, thanks for the reply, I actually bought a can of sea foam already, forgot about that. Now you say it may have lost compression from sitting for 6 years, Is that something it will recover from once decarbed and running??

J.D.