evinrude with weird model number, need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Reaction score
hi guys. by some chance, i found a used outboard motor within my price range. it's 2stroke evinrude 10hp from 1980-1999.

the model number is se10rpf. yes, that is what the tag says. and that's why i need help. i've read all of available model number decoders, and i can't find the explanation for the last letter/s. the feaures part of the model number could read as R for rope start or RP for commercial, but the "F" is what realy bugs me.

for what it's worth, the serial number is g02954251. see? there it is again! :x aren't evinrudes in this era supposed to start with "E"?
the tag looks genuine and untampered.
maybe some of you guys have info that might shed light.

more questions:
1. are there any issues with 10hp evinrudes from 1980-1999? are parts available on-line? as far as i know, there's no evinrude dealer in my country, so i will have to buy parts from the USA.

2. the seller wants $700 for it. no tank and lines, needs a new impeller. good deal?

thanks in advance!

JP Dont worry to much about the "F" suffix. That was there to denote a model run (on the assembly line) or a change that happened somewhere along the manufacturing year. That letter may show up in the parts catalogs as there will be corresponding parts changes that go along with that letter. The SE denotes, in your case, a South American Evinrude. Again, nothing to worry about. The 10hp was part of the 9.9-15hp class of engines and was and is a wonderful engine. They are rugged, dependable, easy starting and good running engines.
Not knowing the economy in the Philipines you are the only one that can say for sure whether or not the engine is priced correctly. I do know I see 9.9hp engines up here in that price range but they usually sell for a little less and may be a little newer.

that same motor here on the west coast of canada will cost around $800.00,and were surrounded by water,but its almost impossible to find a used 9.9 short shaft tiller.its a really good motor, and people keep them till they just won't run ever again.i have one in my garage,as a spare.

thank you pappy and bcbouy!!!!
your replies are very reassuring.

bcbouy said:
that same motor here on the west coast of canada will cost around $800.00,and were surrounded by water,but its almost impossible to find a used 9.9 short shaft tiller.its a really good motor, and people keep them till they just won't run ever again.i have one in my garage,as a spare.
same here. my country is composed of many islands. percentage wise, there are not many recreational boaters around and these bunch want tend to accumulate/hoard all the motors they can find. hahaha. hence, the scarcity of used outboards. the multitude of resorts are also on the lookout for any watercaraft for use in their operations.

i went to inspect the motor and it was very fresh looking. good compression and good spark. all the bolts in the power head appear to have never been opened, no dings or any damage on the skeg and the propeller. i was not able to fire it up because of the busted impeller, but i'm confident that this motor is a winner. it turns out that the seller is a mechanic, and the motor was sent to him for repairs then the owner decided to sell the motor. i asked the mechanic if we can lower the price and he's bargaining with the owner right now. at any price, this motor already has my name on it.

a bonus is i got to meet an experienced marine mechanic. i'm even more confident now to invest in older motors because there's somebody i can go to, just in case.

thanks again. will update once i get it on my boat.

went ahead and followed your advice. i paid a deposit on the motor and i will be able to bring it home once the impeller arrives and the mechanic installs it, as well as tuning it up so that i get to purchase a worry free motor.

i'll be building a home brewed fuel tank, the design came from a fellow Filipino boater. he's actually the one who help me find my new motor.

as an expectant motor owner, i did what comes natural and devoured any info i can find to get to know my motor even before i have it with me. the topics on upgrading to 15hp were good reads, though i'm not likely to go that route. i don't think i'm ever gonna go WOT for fear of ripping my home built boat. when i find a proper tinny perhaps.

Latest posts