T52 Motorguide Trolling Motor - OK to use in saltwater??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_school

Reaction score
We only use our boat in saltwater - we could not afford a saltwater trolling motor so we bought a 1998 T52 12V FRESHWATER trolling motor (hard to pass up - $50 and it works good)

QUESTION - will this work OK as long as we rinse really well with fresh water after each outing/use? Any other suggestions?

Thanks and good boating to all!

I've used freshwater TM's in saltwater for years (even before they made saltwater specific TM's). Your probably better off with a older one. I believe they make them cheaper now days. The older ones would last a few years in the salt but the new ones will show signs after the first use.

You should rinse it very well. You will see the most corrosion around the mount. Make sure u spray the moving parts with a rust inhibitor or corrosion spray lube.

If you get any scraped or scratches on the foot, sand lightly and paint. If left bare, it will rust.

It isn't going to last like a saltwater will but if you take care of it, it should last a few years.

:cry: I need to replace my 80lbs TM on my bay boat. the one I want is $1300 with the guy giving me a $300 discount. #-o

I'll be using it and spraying it with WD40 after a good rinse each time

Good boating to everyone!

WD-40 is best when used as a penetrating oil. It doesn't do much for rust prevention as it evaporates fairly quickly and doesn't leave much of a residue. About the best stuff I've found is Corrosion-X, comes in a red can and is sold in many places including Academy.

I too am lookng at replacing a TM on a boat that was used in salt water, and just about choke when I look at the price tag. I think with diligent rinsing and oiling a standard TM could be made to last several years, but you may have to go as far as actually doing some disassembly and spraying it down with rust inhibitor.

Latest posts