Buy new or rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseverns

Reaction score
Ok right now I have a 1967 evinrude 18 hp that runs good. My ? Is if u had the money would u rebuild the '67 18hp or buy a new outboard. I can buy a reman. Powerhead for $1000 and rebuild the lower unit for about $400 or buy a new 25 hp for around $3000. Which would be the better way to go?

zseverns said:
Ok right now I have a 1967 evinrude 18 hp that runs good. My ? Is if u had the money would u rebuild the '67 18hp or buy a new outboard. I can buy a reman. Powerhead for $1000 and rebuild the lower unit for about $400 or buy a new 25 hp for around $3000. Which would be the better way to go?

I guess I'm missing the point. If it runs good, why rebuild it?

jasper60103 said:
zseverns said:

I guess I'm missing the point. If it runs good, why rebuild it?

I would run the 67 for now and save the money until you really need a rebuild or new motor

Well I'm lookin at upgrading to a bigger better boat. And this motor was give to me and I just put a used powerhead on it cuz the old one was locked up. So I guess my ? Is if that motor bit the dust would it be better to rebuild the whole thing or buy a new one

If money is not a issue I would buy new and get what ever you want instead of buying what ever is available used. Warranties are not a bad thing.

Just because the original powerhead failed does not mean the replacement will do the same thing. If you do your due dilligence and completely service the engine you should have many years of trouble free service from it. Those older 18hp engines were pretty much bulletproof if used and fed properly.

Latest posts