Need advise on a used motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
Ok, found an 18 hp Johnson outboard on Craigslist. Owner said he bought it, brought it home, checked compression (120 on both), pull rope broke, and now he's selling boat and all.

He is willing to sell motor alone for $100, said it needs new pull rope and tiller handle repaired.

I find it hard to believe he just happened to check compression before rope broke. Also, no idea what's wrong with tiller handle.

For $100, is it worth the gamble?
How hard is it to replace pull rope?

Biggest issue, it's 250 miles away from me.

250 miles is quite a trip for a broken motor. I am a big advocate of waiting for the right deal, and you know what? They usually do come around if you are patient. If it was me I would probably pass on this one..there is a lot of questions with this one.

I agree with the others about waiting for something closer or even better.

A while back, I was trying to give away a free 20hp Johnson with controls and a tiller! It actually ran but had issues of dying off and on. I didn't have time to tinker with it so opted for a brand new motor as I had an upcoming fishing trip. There wasn't anyone on the forum here who wanted it and was nearby so ended up selling it for $75 on Craig's List.

Latest posts