Blew my motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
I had a problem with my trim motor so I fixed it, was just a shorted power wire that was an easy fix. Took the boat out just to go on a little run to make sure the trim was actually fixed and my motor blew. It seems like the #1 piston siezed up and it pulled the skirt off. I can still move the flywheel by hand and the piston is not siezed but it is definately not attached to anything as I can push it through the spark plug hole and it moves freely. My only guess is that it started to sieze up and pulled the piston pin out of the piston or the connecting rod broke. Does not matter, she is getting a fresh rebuild this Winter and getting sold. Just sucks. I just had a larger jet put in the top carb to nurse it through the Winter. I tested it about 3 weeks ago after the carb work and it ran awesome.

Priced everything out - For the rebuilt block I worked a deal for $1100. This includes new bearings, pistons, and rings, along with some other parts I will look in to before purchasing to make sure it is all legit. Block comes with a 90 day warranty. To get the whole block installed and gone through to make sure everything is running like it should by OPC Marine is an additional $850. I'm going to spend $1950 to get it rebuilt and that is only if I don't run in to any problems along the way. It is just time to move to a new boat but I have to solve this problem before I buy a new one. What really sucks is I don't think I'll be able to ask $2000 more with the fresh rebuild so I'll just have to eat the cost. **** boats. Makes me sick.

If anyone has any insight in to what else could have happened, please let me know. It is a 1974 Mercury 150 in line six. I am no mechanic but have enough common sense to come to the conclusion I did. The motor will still start but sounds bad. I started it for about 3 seconds and turned it off because I did not want to screw anything more up. Thanks in advance.

I have no earthly idea what a 1974 motor should sell for, but I don't think I would pay $2,000 for it.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't fix the motor at all and just sell the boat and trailer for whatever I could get for it. I'd tell the new guy what the deal is on the motor. He can then make a decision whether or not to fix it or junk it. No sense adding new, good money... to bad.

Rich

Pappy said:
There is almost no inherent interest in a 1974 Merc inline 6. Would not rebuild the engine at all. Cut your losses and move on.
richg99 said:
I have no earthly idea what a 1974 motor should sell for, but I don't think I would pay $2,000 for it.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't fix the motor at all and just sell the boat and trailer for whatever I could get for it. I'd tell the new guy what the deal is on the motor. He can then make a decision whether or not to fix it or junk it. No sense adding new, good money... to bad.

Rich
X3 - what if crank or block is damaged. you didn't mention these in quotes.

crazymanme2 said:
Bulldog is your blown motor a prop or jet? #-o

Jet. The pump completely gone through and rebuilt about a year ago or so with all new internal parts, bearings, water pump, water pump impeller, impeller and sleeve. Nice new paint job on it also. The pump is in near perfect shape.

Latest posts